We advise donors on the legal aspects and tax benefits of making charitable gifts, and we help nonprofit organizations navigate the unique regulatory complexities they face.
We help donors develop giving plans and assist nonprofit organizations with regulatory matters
At Baker Law, we have significant experience advising clients on the rules and tax benefits of planned giving. We assist donors in making charitable gifts, from cash and securities contributions to bequests of real estate and life insurance. And we address various issues associated with major donations, such as negotiating naming rights and drafting gift agreements.
We regularly counsel clients in creating and funding new charitable giving vehicles, including:
- Charitable Remainder Trusts
- Charitable Lead Trusts
- Private Foundations
- Donor-Advised Funds
- Supporting Organizations
- Other Public Charities
Well-run charitable organizations are highly effective at creating positive social change. However, nonprofit organizations face unique legal challenges dealing with special tax laws and state regulations. We help nonprofits navigate those complexities and provide the solid legal and tax foundation necessary to advance their missions.
Our nonprofit clients include colleges and universities, community and private foundations, donor-advised funds, hospitals and healthcare systems, religious institutions, and supporting organizations.
Our nonprofit services include:
- Alternative funding sources and social entrepreneurship
- Attorney General matters
- Charitable trust and donor agreements
- Design of socially responsible investment policies
- Donor-advised funds
- Donor substantiation requirements for tax reporting
- Formation and operational issues
- Gift Acceptance Policy development
- Gift Agreement drafting and review
- Mergers, combinations, collaborations, and joint ventures
- Planned giving and donor relations assistance
- Policy review, development, and implementation
- Political activities